Science, humanity and the natural world have all suffered from a myopic fragmentation of scientific knowledge, according to cosmologist Brian Swimme-but some voices in physics today are beginning to echo the wonder and mystery of ancient mystical intuitions, and to present a more unified view of the nature and history of the world. “The universe is a story. It’s not a place, it’s an event,” says Swimme. A new “story of the universe” may come to serve the modern world as primitive myths served in their time, embracing modern scientific knowledge as well as ancient spiritual concepts. (hosted by Michael Toms)
Brian Swimme, Ph.D. is a mathematical cosmologist on the graduate faculty of the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco. Swimme was featured in the television series Soul of the Universe (The BBC, 1991) and The Sacred Balance produced by David Suzuki (CBC and PBS, 2003). He is the producer of a twelve-part DVD series, Canticle to the Cosmos, which has been distributed worldwide. Other DVD programs featuring Swimme’s ideas include The Earth’s Imagination and The Powers of the Universe.
His books include:
- The Universe Is a Green Dragon: A Cosmic Creation Story (Bear and Company 1984)
- The Universe Story : From the Primordial Flaring Forth to the Ecozoic Era–A Celebration of the Unfolding of the Cosmos (coauthor Thomas Berry) (HarperSanFrancisco 1992)
- The Hidden Heart of the Cosmos: Humanity and the New Story (Orbis 1996)
To learn more about the work of Brian Swimme go to story of the universe.org.
Topics explored in this dialogue include:
- How have we lost the whole by looking only at the parts
- How the split between science and religion came about
- What is the importance of economics within the Earth’s own on-going story
- How Einstein discovered that imagination was more than facts
- How we are entering the Ecozoic era
Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 10/25/1990 Program Number: 2218