Have you ever prayed for someone to get better who was seriously ill? Keep it up, because it works! Not only have numerous studies corroborated the fact that prayer heals, but the top five medical schools in the country now require courses on spirituality and healing in their curriculum. Dossey has long been at the forefront of elucidating prayer’s power to heal and suggests we all take a long hard look at why we pray, how we pray and why some of our prayers bring results we don’t expect. “The fire behind prayer is love and compassion,” so if we know someone who’s uncomfortable being prayed for, Dossey says, “just tell them you’re going to love them instead–it amounts to pretty much the same thing.” (hosted by Michael Toms)
Larry Dossey, M.D. is the executive editor of Explore: The Journal of Science and Healing, and served as co-chair of the Panel on Mind/Body Interventions of the NIH Office of Alternative Medicine.
He is the author of numerous articles and books, including:
- Prayer Is Good Medicine: How to Reap the Healing Benefits of Prayer (HarperOne 1997)
- The Power of Premonitions: How Knowing the Future Can Shape Our Lives (Dutton 2009)
- The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice (co-author Thich Nhat Hanh) (Parallax Press 2006)
- The Extraordinary Healing Power of Ordinary Things: Fourteen Natural Steps to Health and Happiness (Harmony 2007)
- One Mind: How Our Individual Mind Is Part of a Greater Consciousness and Why It Matters (Hay House 2013)
To learn more about the work of Dr. Larry Dossey go to www.DosseyDossey.com.
Topics explored in this dialogue include:
- How to use your own inner power to heal
- Why extroverts may pray differently than introverts
- The role of spirituality and prayer in healing
- Is there a “right” way to pray?
- How prayer can restore hope in your life
- The revolutionary impact of prayer’s power on medical practice and education
- Using prayer to complement, not replace, traditional medical treatments
- Why you don’t always get the answer you may want from prayer
- How others prayers may interfere with your own
- The best prayer to give the dying
Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 7/23/1996 Program Number: 2581