“The story of each of us individually is the story of the universe, quite literally,” says Thomas Berry. And it is happening right here and now–but most of us fail to appreciate the order of magnitude of the changes happening right now on our own planet. Swimme and Berry place current events in their larger context, to illustrate how we may be entering an unprecedented planetary age. This “Ecozoic Era” calls for an awareness of the larger cycles of creation and destruction, a human vision, a new story to help form a creative, celebratory future suited to our place in the universal story. (hosted by Michael Toms)
Brian Swimme, Ph.D. is a mathematical cosmologist on the graduate faculty of the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco. Swimme was featured in the television series Soul of the Universe (The BBC, 1991) and The Sacred Balance produced by David Suzuki (CBC and PBS, 2003). He is the producer of a twelve-part DVD series, Canticle to the Cosmos, which has been distributed worldwide. Other DVD programs featuring Swimme’s ideas include The Earth’s Imagination and The Powers of the Universe.
His books include:
- The Universe Is a Green Dragon: A Cosmic Creation Story (Bear and Company 1984)
- The Universe Story : From the Primordial Flaring Forth to the Ecozoic Era–A Celebration of the Unfolding of the Cosmos (coauthor Thomas Berry) (HarperSanFrancisco 1992)
- The Hidden Heart of the Cosmos: Humanity and the New Story (Orbis 1996)
To learn more about the work of Brian Swimme go to story of the universe.org.
Thomas Berry (1949 – 2009) received his Ph.D. from the Catholic University of America in European intellectual history with a thesis on Giambattista Vico. Widely read in Western history and theology, he also spent many years studying and teaching the cultures and religions of Asia. For more than twenty years, Thomas directed the Riverdale Center of Religious Research along the Hudson River. From 1975-1987 he was President of the American Teilhard Association, and it was from Teilhard de Chardin that he was inspired to develop his idea of a universe story.
He was the author of:
- The Dream of the Earth (Sierra Club Books 1988)
- The Universe Story : From the Primordial Flaring Forth to the Ecozoic Era–A Celebration of the Unfolding of the Cosmos (coauthor Brian Swimme) (HarperSanFrancisco 1992)
To find out more about the work of Thomas Berry go to thomasberry.org.
Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 12/27/1992 Program Number: 2365