“The story of each of us individually is the story of the universe, quite literally,” says Thomas Berry. And it is happening right here and now–but most of us fail to appreciate the order of magnitude of the changes happening right now on our own planet. Swimme and Berry place current events in their larger context, to illustrate how we may be entering an unprecedented planetary age. This “Ecozoic Era” calls for an awareness of the larger cycles of creation and destruction, a human vision, a new story to help form a creative, celebratory future suited to our place in the universal story. (hosted by Michael Toms)
Brian Swimme, Ph.D. is a mathematical cosmologist on the graduate faculty of the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco. Swimme was featured in the television series Soul of the Universe (The BBC, 1991) and The Sacred Balance produced by David Suzuki (CBC and PBS, 2003). He is the producer of a twelve-part DVD series, Canticle to the Cosmos, which has been distributed worldwide.
Other DVD programs featuring Swimme’s ideas include:
His books include:
- The Universe Is a Green Dragon: A Cosmic Creation Story (Bear and Company 1984)
- The Universe Story : From the Primordial Flaring Forth to the Ecozoic Era–A Celebration of the Unfolding of the Cosmos (coauthor Thomas Berry) (HarperSanFrancisco 1992)
- The Hidden Heart of the Cosmos: Humanity and the New Story (Orbis 1996)
To learn more about the work of Brian Swimme go to www.brianswimme.org.
Thomas Berry, C.P., Ph.D. (1914-2009) was a Catholic priest of the Passionist order. He was a cultural historian and ecotheologian (although cosmologist and geologian – or “Earth scholar” – were his preferred descriptors). He was one of the leading environmental thinkers in North America. His background held the dual focus of both scientific and spiritual orientations. He was the director of the Riverdale Center for Religious Research and founder of the History of Religions Program at Fordham University.
Berry’s books include:
- The Dream of the Earth (Sierra Club Books 1988)
- The Great Work: Our Way into the Future (Random House/Bell Tower 1999)
- Evening Thoughts: Reflecting on Earth as a Sacred Community (Sierra Club/University of California Press 2006)
- The Sacred Universe: Earth, Spirituality, and Religion in the Twenty-first Century (Columbia University Press 2009)
- The Christian Future and the Fate of Earth (Orbis Books 2009)
- The Universe Story : From the Primordial Flaring Forth to the Ecozoic Era–A Celebration of the Unfolding of the Cosmos (coauthor Brian Swimme) (HarperSanFrancisco 1992)
To find out more about the work of Thomas Berry go to thomasberry.org.