Even though synchronicity, the term coined by Carl Jung for meaningful coincidences, has attained some renown in popular culture, it is still badly misconstrued. Vic Mansfield discusses what synchronicity is, it’s parallels with quantum mechanics and perhaps why it shows up in our lives: “In some sense, final cause is operating in synchronicity–there seems to be something impelling us to come to some sort of resolution with our problems.” Mansfield delves into the complex issues of synchronicity and quantum mechanics in terms we can all understand, drawing upon his seemingly disparate studies in physics and Buddhism, as well as his own personal experiences, enabling us to see the magic of synchronicity and the underlying scientific basis for it working in our own lives.
The late Vic Mansfield (1941-2008) was Professor of Physics and Astronomy at Colgate University and author of Synchronicity, Science, and Soul-Making (Court Publishing 1995), Head and Heart: A Personal Exploration of Science and the Sacred (Quest Books 2002), and Tibetan Buddhism and Modern Science: Toward a Union of Love and Knowledge (Templeton Foundation Press 2008). He passed away on June 3, 2008. To learn more about the work of Vic Mansfield go to www.lightlink.com/vic
Topics Explored in this Dialogue:
- How to recognize synchronicity in your life
- What repels you in other people?
- Exploring the nature of projection
- The deeper meaning of the relationship between you and others
- The parallels between synchronicity and quantum mechanics
- The distinction between synchronicity and other paranormal phenomenon
- Exploring the guru/disciple relationship
- The catch-22 in transforming the ego
- Principles of non-locality and the instantaneous connection of particles
- The amazing correlations between quantum mechanics and Buddhist doctrines
- The scientific basis for meaninful coincidence
Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 2/17/1997 Program Number: 2615