Thomas Edison was an exceptional genius, but the greatest product of his genius was the establishment of a systematic approach to success that he believed anyone could emulate. In this conversation, Michael Gelb describes the easy-to-apply system of five competencies one needs to complete in order to find what Edison called, “Your own astounding potential.” These skills are relevant to anyone who wants to be more creative and use more of their human potential. Gelb describes how one of the world’s greatest inventors, Thomas Edison, worked, “Edison was always oriented to finding solutions. He was not afraid of facing, or defining any kind of problem, and he took on huge problems like how do you light the entire world, which was considered to be utterly impossible at the time.” Tune in and discover how to wake up your own sleeping genius. (hosted by Michael Toms)
Michael Gelb, Ph.D. is a leading world authority on the application of genius thinking to personal and organizational development. A pioneer in the fields of creative thinking, accelerated learning, and innovative leadership, Gelb leads seminars for organizations such as DuPont, Merck, Microsoft, Nike and many others.
He’ s the author of:
- Innovate Like Edison: The Five-Step System for Breakthrough Business Success (co-author Sarah Miller Caldicott) (Dutton 2007)
- How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day (Dell 2000)
- Brain Power: Improve Your Mind as You Age (co-author Kelly Howell) (New World Library 2012)
- Creativity On Demand: How to Ignite and Sustain the Fire of Genius (Sounds True 2014)
To learn more about the work of Michael Gelb go to www.michaelgelb.com.
Topics Explored in This Dialogue
- What are the Five Competencies of Innovation
- Why a sense of humor is important to creativity
- How to generate creative new ideas out of nothing
- What the acronym E.D.I.S.O.N. stands for
- How Edison’s wife was a full partner in his endeavors
- What were some of Edison’s foibles