Come and sit with this wise and gentle-spoken Western Shoshone elder and spiritual leader. You’ll hear stories of his childhood in a white man’s world, and teachings he learned from his grandmother. The late Corbin Harney has a vital message for all of humankind: “It’s very important for all of us that we really take care of our own power. We were given the power by the Nature to heal each other. What we should be doing today is uniting ourselves together throughout the country, throughout the world.” In the measured words of a wise man, he explains the hazards we face in a nuclear world, and how we can live respectfully on this one mother earth.
Corbin is the author of The Way It Is (Blue Dolphin 1995) and founder of the Shundahai Network, an organization dedicated to the abolition of nuclear weapons and nuclear testing, and to promoting the principles of environmental justice. He traveled the world to share his message of unity and preservation.
Topics Explored in this Dialogue:
- How to gather herbs and other plants with respect, as Native people do
- How you can live a healthier life by working with nature
- How you can apply the value of the ancient teachings of our forefathers
- How you can join with others as one people to change the way we treat our mother earth
- What environmental changes are apparent in the loss of food sources in the wild
- What are the hazards of radiation at the nuclear test site in Nevada, at Yucca Mountain, and around the world
Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 9/9/2003 Program Number: 3006