The growing awareness of alternative and complementary medical approaches has shed new light on osteopathy, an American form of medical care developed in 1874 by Andrew Still, a pioneer of the concept of wellness. Cheri Quincy and Joel Alter, two osteopathic physicians, discuss their approach to health and healing, drawing on their extensive experience practicing medicine as well as dramatic experiences of recovery in their own personal lives.
Quincy and Alter are husband and wife, and co-founders of the Santa Rosa Medical Group in Northern California, where they are creating a new relationship between clinician and client that includes “a transfer of information, and the creation of a sacred space where honesty can really happen.” In their openess to healing possibilities, they are freeing many people to explore alternatives to surgery and discover their own inner healing power.
Topics Explored in this Dialogue:
- How to reclaim your power to heal yourself
- The changing relationship between patient and doctor
- Programmed cell death–our constant transformation
- Looking at the whole self, not just the part that’s broken
- Joel Alter’s amazing recovery from a broken neck
- Functional aging
- The power of shamanic healing
Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 11/25/1997 Program Number: 2687