Most of us have experienced the unconditional love and gentle companionship of pets, especially dogs or cats. A profound spiritual connection exists and yet it has been largely neglected by the modern world. Widely acclaimed as the feminine successor to mythologist Joseph Campbell, Jean Houston asserts that animals, and dogs in particular, are part of the sacred flow of nature, and can help restore and revitalize our connection to the oneness with all of life. A master storyteller, Jean weaves a fascinating and provocative web of wonder, as she regales us with animal stories, like a 21st century Scheherazade. (hosted by Justine Willis Toms)
Jean Houston is a visionary thinker, teacher, and philosopher who pioneered the Human Potential Movement and established the Social Artistry leadership model that she used in her work with the United Nations Development Programme.
She is the author of nearly thirty books, including:
- A Mythic Life: Learning to Live our Greater Story (HarperSanFrancisco 1996)
- A Passion for the Possible: A Guide to Realizing Your True Potential (HarperSanFrancisco 1997)
- The Wizard of Us: Transformational Lessons from Oz (Beyond Words 2012)
To learn more about the work of Jean Houston go to www.jeanhouston.com.
Topics Explored in This Dialogue
- What is it that attracts us to animals
- How animals teach us to be wise
- Why are pigs holy
- What is the mythic dimension of animals
- Who are the dogs that sing opera