“We’re like horses raised in the basement,” says Barbara Sher. “We know something’s missing, but we don’t know what it is.” After many years of helping people find and fulfill their lifelong gifts and dreams, Sher has learned some secrets for finding the way out of the basements of our lives. She tells us how to recognize our true gifts, even if we are afraid of them and think we’re not good at them, and to overcome our resistance to acting on them. “I’ve seen what happens to people when they get to do what they love,” she says. “They light up. They glow. They have a kind of energy that’s wonderful.” And after listening to this program, you will know where to begin.
Sher is the author of I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was (Delacorte 1994), Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-by-Step Lessons (Delacorte 1996) and Refuse to Choose!: A Revolutionary Program for Doing Everything That You Love (Rodale Press 2006).
Topics Explored in this Dialogue:
- The real reasons you aren’t pursuing your dreams
- Rediscovering your gifts and loves
- Why youíre probably not good at what you’re gifted at
- How to tell if you have a good job
- The trick for overcoming resistance
- Why others may not support your dream
- Why you don’t create your own reality after all
- The trouble with “skills assessment” tests
- A point against affirmations
- Imaginary allies and how they can help
- How a “Success Team” can work for you
Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 8/16/1996 Program Number: 2587