Even though we face a world of tremendous inequality, social breakdown, excessive consumerism and growing spiritual emptiness, there is a way out. David Korten says, “The choice is in front of us. We have the power and the right to make a choice that can open up a future beyond anything we can imagine now. Or we can choose not to make that choice and end up as a failed evolutionary experiment.” Find out what that choice entails and discover strategies for creating a just, sustainable, and compassionate society that is economically stable too.
Author of ten books, including the bestselling When Corporations Rule the World (Berrett-Koehler 1995 ), and The Post-Corporate World: Life After Capitalism (Berrett-Koehler 1999).
Topics Explored in this Dialogue:
- What you can do to help change our economic system
- How to overcome feelings of powerlessness and hopelessness
- What cancer and corporations have in common
- What really happens when the stock market goes up
- Is capitalism an inherently diseased economic system?
- What is the nature of corporations? Can we transform them into something better?
- What happens when big business comes to town
- Positive localism–what it is and how to create it where you live
- How the King Midas fable relates to us now
- How to ground capital through stakeholder ownership
Program Number: 2763 Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 2/19/1999