What is consciousness? Where do thoughts come from? These mysteries of mind and thought perplexed world-renowned futurist and best-selling author Peter Russell when he was a young student at Cambridge University. The pivotal question came to him as he worked on the wave equation of hydrogen. “How is it that hydrogen has evolved into a conscious creature like myself with the intellectual ability to actually do the mathematics on hydrogen?” Russell, who was studying with Stephen Hawking at the time, realized that physics was never going to truly answer these interesting questions of consciousness. Russell tells the story of how this epiphany sent him on a journey of exploration into the nature of consciousness and led him to his lifework. He shares his ideas and discoveries about the value of meditation, science, the interior universe, and the emerging new paradigm in science.
Peter Russell, D.C.S. is an author and meditation teacher focusing on consciousness and spirituality. His studies include theoretical physics, mathematics, experimental psychology, and computer science. His principal interest is the deeper, spiritual significance of the times we are passing through. His work seeks to distill the essence of the world’s spiritual traditions and present them in ways relevant to current times. In 1982, with his bestseller of the same name, he coined the term “global brain” and predicted the Internet and the impact it would have on our culture.
Peter’s many books include:
- Waking Up in Time: Finding Inner Peace in Times of Accelerating Change (Origin Press 1992)
- The Global Brain (3rd Edition, Floris Books 2008)
- From Science to God: A Physicist’s Journey into the Mystery of Consciousness (New World Library 2001)
- The Brain Book: Know Your Own Mind and How to Use it (Routledge and Kegan Paul 1979)
To learn more about the work of Peter Russell go to www.peterrussell.com.
Topics Explored in This Dialogue
- How you can create your own experience of reality
- What you can do to shift your consciousness
- Why excessive self-talk can block your creativity
- How paradigm shifts occur in the world
- What classic science can learn from the psychic realm