Five thousand years ago the human species took a turn away from partnership societies to dominator societies. Does your life, as you live it, contribute to an Earth Community Model or an Empire Dominator Model? We now stand at a critical moment in Earth’s history, a time when humanity must choose its future. As the world becomes increasingly interdependent and fragile, the future holds great peril and great promise. David Korten, author of When Corporations Rule the World invites us to change the conversation about our local, national, and global possibilities. “We humans are a choicemaking species that at this defining moment face both the opportunity and the imperative to choose our future as a conscious collective act.”
Dr. David Korten is co-founder and Board Chair of the Positive Futures Network, which publishes Yes!, a journal of positive futures. He has authored or edited numerous books including When Corporations Rule the World (Berrett-Koehler 2001), The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community (Berrett-Koehler 2006), and ), and Agenda for a New Economy (Barrett-Koehler 2009). To learn more about the work of David Korten go to www.greatturning.org.
Topics Explored in this Dialogue:
- How does the framework of Empire and Earth Community help you understand the world we live in?
- What are the similarities between the ancient empires and today’s current political climate?
- Who are the leaders of today that exemplify Earth Community?
- How can you reduce your dependency on corporations?
- What ways can global communication and technologies move us away from Empire to Earth Community?
Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 5/17/2006 Program Number: 3145