For years Barry Heermann has worked with teams of corporate workers to develop the passion and sense of purpose that leads to exceptional performance and job satisfaction. More and more he finds that business leaders crave a deeper sense of meaning in their work, and recognize the need for a spiritual dimension that can inform and enlighten their goals and even enhance their bottom line. With the understanding that the spirit of a team – in the workplace or any other community – rests on the spiritual health of each of its members, Heermann shows us how we can reclaim our essential self and create the life and work we truly want. He explains how to step back from the pressure of meeting deadlines to reclaim the fire and inspiration that make the process worthwhile, and that ultimately make the achievements of the organization more spectacular.
Barry Heermann is an organizational consultant, and the creator of the Team Spirit team development program used by AT&T, VW of America, General Motors and Lexis/Nexis. He is a former core faculty member of the Graduate School of the Union Institute and the author of Building Team Spirit: Activities for Inspiring and Energizing Teams (McGraw-Hill 1997) and Noble Purpose: Igniting Extraordinary Passion for Life and Work (QSU 2004).
Topics Explored in this Dialogue:
- How you can discover the single change you can make to transform your life
- Why individual passion is such an important element of team spirit
- What will allow you to effortlessly get what you want in your life
- How you can gracefully claim more power within your organization
- How sensitive, caring individuals within a community may be more important than the quality of its leadership
- Why focusing intently on your goal might make it more difficult to achieve
Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 2/10/2004 Program Number: 3036