Matthew Fox, Ph.D., is an internationally acclaimed spiritual theologian, an Episcopal priest, and an activist who was a member of the Dominican Order for 34 years. He holds a doctorate, summa cum laude, in the History and Theology of Spirituality from the Institut Catholique de Paris. He has collaborated with Anglican youth to form the “Techno-Cosmic Mass.” He is founder of the Institute in Culture and Creation Spirituality for seven years at Mundelein College in Chicago and twelve years at Holy Names College in Oakland, CA. For ten of those years at Holy Names College, Cardinal Ratzinger – former Pope Benedict XVI – tried to shut the program down; finally forcing him to step down as director and then expelling Fox from the Order. Fox then started his own University, University of Creation Spirituality. He is the recipient of the Abbey Courage of Conscience Peace Award (other recipients being the Dalai Lama, Mother Teresa, Ernest Cardenal and Rosa Parks).
His books include:
- Original Blessing: A Primer in Creation Spirituality Presented in Four Paths, Twenty-Six Themes, and Two Questions (Jeremy Tarcher/Putnam 2000)
- Confessions: The Making of a Postdenominational Priest (HarperSanFrancisco 1996)
- A New Reformation: Creation Spirituality and the Transformation of Christianity (Wisdom Publications 2005)
- The Hidden Spirituality of Men: Ten Metaphors to Awaken the Sacred Masculine (New World Library 2008)
- Christian Mystics: 365 Readings and Meditations (New World Library 2011)
- The Pope’s War: Why Ratzinger’s Secret Crusade Has Imperiled the Church and How It Can Be Saved (Co-authored Bruce Chilton) (Sterling Ethos 2012)
- HILDEGARD OF BINGEN: A Saint for Our Times: Unleashing Her Power in the 21st Century (Namaste Publishing 2012)
To learn more about the work of Matthew Fox go to www.matthewfox.org.
Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 10/22/2008 Program Number: C0083