“What does it really mean to live in the spirit of ‘all our relations’? What does it really mean to live a no-enemy way, to walk in a field of allies? And what does it mean to live on behalf of the future?” These are the questions asked – and answered – by beloved poet, storyteller, and healer Deena Metzger in this deeply moving conversation. Through more than four decades of living in alliance with the earth and its creatures, she has learned how to listen to what they have to say, and to heed the signs and teachings they offer. She shares amazing stories of her encounters with animals, who reached beyond their wildness to make contact with humans, and the message of hope they conveyed. She applies her medicine woman wisdom to problems with our medical system, nuclear proliferation, war, and much more. What emerges is a renewed sense of possibility, and the conviction that each of us can be a facilitator of healing and peace. (hosted by Justine Willis Toms)
Deena Metzger is a poet, storyteller, and medicine woman. She is co-founder of the Los Angeles DarÈ, devoted to supporting individual and community healing through council gatherings, alliance with spirit and the natural world, dream work, and storytelling.
Ms. Metzger is the author of many books, including:
- Ruin and Beauty: New and Selected Poems (Red Hen Press 2009)
- Entering the Ghost River (Hand to Hand 2002)
- Intimate Nature: The Bond Between Women and Animals (co-author with Linda Hogan and Brenda Peterson) (Ballantine 1999)
To learn more about the work of Deena Metzger go to deenametzger.net.
Topics explored in this dialogue include:
- How the spiritual intelligence of elephants can benefit us
- How enemies can become allies through story
- How to be guided by a dream circle
- Why we need to heal the medicine of our culture
- What you can do today to join with the animals and the earth to heal yourself and our planet
Host: Justine Willis Toms Interview Date: 7/15/2009 Program Number: 3314